Sunday, August 26, 2007

Wisdom Teeth

For those who don't know, my fourth and last wisdom tooth decided to come out and cause me problems...

Basically according to the X-ray that the dentist took for me, that stupid tooth went and impacted on my second molar and basically caused an infection.

This is not my X-ray, found it on Google.
But ya, it looks like that and can you guess how much that cost me?
83AUD!!!
*&$&#^*(&@(!#*@$(@(#*)!

So, poor me experienced alot of pain and a condition called trismus which is the inability to open the mouth fully. That caused me to have to be on a liquid diet. I am currently on my 5th day where I eat mostly plain porridge. Yes. Just. Porridge.

Amazingly I didn't lose any weight (YET).

The dentist prescribed me some antibiotics which eased the swelling. But now there's just like this big cavity in my gums... which feels really really weird. As for the pain, I got some painkillers from the pharmacy, so it helped a little...

I really hate the health system here. The last time I fell sick, there were no doctors on the weekend and hospitals take 6 hours before they even LOOK at you. And now, I have to wait almost 2 weeks before I can see the dentist.

Why I don't go get a 2nd opinion?

I did. You know what they tell me?

"We can only fit you in during October"


WAHSAI!!! People die from pain already also you won't know la!!!

You say siao bo? I wanted to get everything done this week because it's my week free, so I can stay home all I want without having to worry about skipping classes. Now I'll most likely have to skip at least 2 classes... sibehjialat!!!

Anyways, I got this leaflet that had information on wisdom tooth and I also went online to find more information.

I'll share some with you guys just incase this happens to anyone of you...

What is an Impacted Wisdom Tooth ?

A tooth becomes impacted due to lack of space in the dental arch and its eruption is therefore prevented by gum, bone, another tooth or all three. Lack of space occurs because our jaws have become smaller (through evolution), we do not loose teeth through decay as frequently as in the past, and our diet is such that our teeth do not wear down as much.

Basically that is what happened to me... for more information you can visit here.

I was thinking of keeping my wisdom tooth if it didn't hurt. But apparently if you leave it in, the roots may grow very long and it could hit a nerve in the future. That would cause permanent damage to the nerves and you could lose all sensation in your lower jaw.

That really scared me. The reason why I left my other wisdom tooth in is because my mom told me that if it didn't hurt, it didn't need to be taken out. And of course I don't like pain, so I leave it la...

But now... I will get 2 on the left removed first before getting the other 2 done...

So, if you have not gotten your wisdom tooth removed, do go and get it done. It's better than if you wait until something happens.

My condition is pretty bad as it's not gonna be a simple extraction. I need dental SURGERY. This is because my tooth is only partially erupted. Basically the dentist is gonna have to cut into the gums to expose the teeth before it can be yanked out...

Yes. I know it's gonna hurt.

Damn.

6 comments:

aL said...

damn ouch...

ms.bulat said...

i went for surgery too: D on the right side of my lower bottom jaw. actually not as pain. but yea they are gonna cut your gums and all: D kakaaak~ i kept the tooth although it has a cut(dentist cut it so easier to take out i think) plus i could talk after surgery..i went to watch movie right after that and i ate seafood the very next day. i very ...HMM...now i think of it...maybe it wasn't that pain cause they gave me double dose of anesthetic thus it lasted longer: D so i did not experience the pain that much. hmm...i don't know this is just my experience so you feel better i hope: )

conan_cat said...

ouch!! can feel the pain lor!! >__< and dental surgery need to cut out gums... double ouch! >_< newayz, i never seen the dentist for 20 years of my life before, thinking of going to see him soon too cuz now i got one month of nothingtodoness... :D

good luck in your teeth! how izzit going hmm?

Ryudiculous said...

[aL] I know... T______________T

[ms bulat] You really did make me fell better!!! Finally someone who tells me that it's not that bad =) Thanks so much!!!

[conan cat] Yea, I think you should go to check if everything's fine =) Better now than when it hurts... Thanks for the luck, I'm just waiting for surgery now...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Wisdom teeth are such a pain in the a$$... I know what you mean. I haven't had surgery for removing my bottom wisdoms yet... too chicken and kinda poor. I think i wanna be sedated or something haha!!! I'm sich a wuss I don't think local anesthetic will do it for me! Will do it when I return to NZ la. I've had my top 2 extracted though.. cos they were rotting away the molars next to them! The bastards! Dentist told me my bottom ones can be left if they don't hurt me cos he's checked and they won't be hitting a nerve anytime soon, so I don't have to hurry.

Good luck getting yours done. Let us know how it goes ok? if at least 3 people tell me it's not gonna hurt, I might rethink being sedated. ^_^

Ryudiculous said...

[bell] thx for the luck ^^

i think mine are starting to rot as well so i need to get them extracted ASAP >.< i'll definitely let you know how it goes ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...